- be an Indian national
- not be more than 45 years old as on the closing date of the application
- possess one of the following qualifications:
- Ph.D./M.D. degree or equivalent in Life Sciences/Agriculture, Bioinformatics, or allied areas
- M.Tech. degree in Engineering or Technology/Medicine with at least three years of postdoctoral research experience in overseas research laboratories
- have an outstanding track record evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and international awards
- Applicants working in any area of life sciences & biotechnology, bio-engineering, healthcare (human and animal), agriculture and veterinary biotechnology, or bio-energy and allied areas with relevant experience are eligible to apply.
- Applicants who have already returned to India within one year (two years for women candidates) of the advertisement closing date are also eligible, but not if they have secured a permanent position in India within this period.