The Mahila Coir Yojana Subsidy Scheme was promoted to provide self employment to rural women artisans in regions producing coir fibre.
Conversion of coir fibre into yarn on motorized ratts in rural households provides scope for large scale employment, improvement in productivity and quality, better working conditions and higher income. The scheme is being implemented by the Government through the Coir Board under its plan scheme “Training, Extension, Quality Improvement, Mahila Coir Yojana and Welfare Measures”.
Objective of the Scheme
The scheme Mahila Coir Yojana envisages distribution of motorized/motorized traditional ratts for spinning coir yarn to trained women artisans. Under this scheme women coir workers are extended subsidy by the Government to the extent of 75 per cent of the cost of the motorized ratt (upto a maximum of Rs. 7,500/-) or a motorized traditional ratt (upto a maximum of Rs. 2,925/-) as one time subsidy, provided the other 25 per cent is raised by the beneficiary through voluntary organizations/ financial institutions/ own sources. The Coir Board provides training to women artisans in spinning on motorized/motorized traditional ratts for successful implementation of the scheme and to encourage more women artisans to take to coir spinning activity. The number of people who have received training was greater than the number of ratts supplied for the four years from 2002-03 to 2005-06. But during the year 2006-07 the number of ratts distributed was 21130, while the people who received training were only 8703. The amount utilized under Mahila Coir Yojana in the past five years reveals that maximum amount was utilized during 2005-06 (Rs. 119.41 lakhs) for providing training to 36168 persons.
Guidelines for Assistance
iii) Operate the motorized ratt/ motorized traditional ratt for a minimum period of 5 years
Application for Subsidy
Application for subsidy should be sent to:
iii) Andhra Pradesh, : The Regional Officer, Regional Office, Jharkhand, Bihar, Udyog Bhavan, Siripuram, all other States not Visakhapatnam-530 003 covered by the other ROs Phone:0891-2755191