- be a Ph.D. degree holder, residing in Kerala
- have submitted the Ph.D. thesis OR
- be an M.D. (Medicine) degree holder from a recognised university by the appropriate council
- be aged 45 years as on the last date of application and 35 years in case of a permanent employee/teacher
- Scholars working on Kerala-related research at universities or institutions within Kerala are eligible, even if they are not residents of India or currently residing elsewhere.
- A relaxation in age will be provided to women and reserved category (SC/ST/OBC/Physically challenged) candidates.